Costochondritis is an inflammatory condition of the chest. It affects the cartilage in the rib cage, especially near the upper ribs and the costosternal joint. The condition results in mild to severe chest pain, breathing difficulties, and may even lead to other health complications.
What Causes Costochondritis?
The exact causes of Costochondritis aren’t known. This condition typically results from a number of factors. These include:
- Traumatic Injury:A sudden impact or a sharp blow caused by a fall or an accident can result in a chest injury that leads to costochondritis.
- Physical Strain:Activities that entail heavy lifting and cause physical strain on the upper rib joint are also associated with the condition.
- Joint Infection:Infections occurring at the rib joint can also lead to costochondritis. Most prominently, viral respiratory infections and bacterial infections (such as those that may arise after a surgical procedure) are linked with costochondritis.
- Tumours:Both cancerous and noncancerous tumours can lead to costochondritis. The tumour may spread to the rib joint from another part of the body.
- Arthritis:Certain types of arthritis, such as rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, ankylosing spondylitis, and psoriatic arthritis, are also often the cause of this condition.
In addition to these factors, individuals who typically participate in strenuous and high-impact physical activities, or who’re exposed to allergens and irritants frequently are also at risk of developing costochondritis.
How Can Costochondritis Be Treated?
Costochondritis can be treated through a number of methods. The traditional route for treatment involves over-the-counter medications that are readily available. These anti-inflammatory drugs may be used to treat cases in which the pain that’s felt is mild or moderate.
Alongside medication, lifestyle changes are also often required. You may have to re-evaluate your physical activities and diet. Heat and ice therapy is also recommended.
PRP therapy is an alternative treatment method that can also be adopted in this case. It helps heal the injury sustained by activating the body’s natural healing process. The pain and discomfort is significantly reduced and may even be entirely eliminated.
RegenerVate Medical Injection Therapy offers regenerative therapy in greater Toronto. Make an appointment at our clinic today!